In the past, TNR's event team scouting and recruitment has been stagnant until we desperately needed competent event designers, at which point the event admin would open a brief period of hectic applications. Since I'm not a fan of that particular methodology, I've set up a new application that will remain open to all players - not only because I hope to make the entire process smoother in the long run, but also because it does seem unfair that newer players, or players who simply missed the application period, are no longer eligible for consideration.
Also, unlike those for moderators, qualifications for event designers are hardly observable on a casual basis, so hopefully this will give users an equal chance to demonstrate their abilities.
That being said, to prevent excessive flooding of this new application (especially given my current inactivity), the requirements are much more demanding than in the past, and there are some new rules about applying. Please read everything carefully before you apply, because the ability to follow instructions and perform tasks as requested is one of the first and most basic screening processes.
The event team had the first look at this new template, but I would also like user input, so I'll keep this thread open for questions/comments pertaining to the application.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Email to: email@example.com
Subject: Event Designer Application
- Alternate account (if you have one):
- Years playing TNR:
- Events you've participated in:
- Short statement (3 sentences or less) about why you want to be an event designer:
- Any additional notes about your qualifications or experiences that are not covered by the rest of the application [OPTIONAL]
- Two creative writing samples, totaling no more than 500 words combined; can be anything from poetry to riddles to short stories, etc.
- Four event outlines, completed (including as many technical details - e.g. scheduling, AI weaknesses, special locations - as you can manage), for:
- Mini-event lasting no longer than 24 hours
- Individual event lasting between 2 days to 1 week
- Story arc (this can be more of a general concept outline) spanning two or more events
- You must have one entry for each category, plus one additional entry in a category of your choice; it's highly recommended that you use the multiple entries to demonstrate creativity in a wide spectrum of concepts and ideas.
- Please try to keep your outlines organized and concise; more text does not equate to better content.
- Limited one application per player (your alt doesn't count as another player) every three months. Double entries will be deleted on sight. Entries not following the specified format, or entries not meeting the application requirements, will be deleted on sight. Anything other than applications will be deleted on sight. Repeatedly failing to follow application rules will result in blacklisting of the applicant.
- If your application passes initial screening, it may be kept in reserve until we are hiring again, depending on the current state of the event team. If your application does not meet preliminary standards, you will NOT receive a reply (I'm sorry, but it's unrealistically inconvenient to send rejection letters to everyone who doesn't make it).
- Players applying for the position are expected to be familiar with at least the general working of events, including the technical aspects (e.g. while we don't expect you to have the effect tags memorized, or even know any of them, you should have a good idea of how to apply text-based challenges, AI weaknesses, automated locations and NPCs to a storyline). As such, asking current staff for help or information in filling out applications will result in blacklisting. If you think up some fantastic effects that are not possible with the tools currently available to us, that's totally fine; the application isn't here to evaluate your technical knowledge.
- Any event outlines submitted may be used, in whole or part, by current event designers, regardless of whether or not the applicant is offered a position on the team. If an event is used in whole or part, all due credit will be given to the author.
- Applicants may be subject to background checks, whether in past event participation or on the site in general, at the discretion of the event staff. This application may be subject to minor changes (but any major edits will be announced).